Offering Heat Pump Repair & Replacement for Over 60 Years!
The heating bill shows up in your mailbox, and, once again, you shudder, amazed at how the bill just keeps going up but never down. And there’s not much hope on the horizon because summer is just around the corner, and you’re dreading those air conditioning bills.
Fortunately, there is hope. It’s called a heat pump, and it can heat your house in the winter and cool your house in the summer. What’s more, it can do these things more efficiently and cost-effectively than a furnace or an air conditioner, allowing you to save money on your energy bills.
From HVAC maintenance to heat pump repair or installation, the comfort consultant at MSCO are ready to answer your questions and solve your heating and cooling problems. Contact our team today for an appointment.
Heat Pump Service and Repair throughout the Hampton Roads Region
You might be considering a heat pump system for your home, or you might already have one. In either case, you’ll need a heat pump installation and repair company in the Virginia Beach area that is experienced with heat pump systems and has reliable service whenever you need them. There’s no need to waste time wondering if the company you call will do the job well.
MSCO is Trusted Your Heat Pump Repair Company
MSCO Heating and Cooling is the premier HVAC company in the Virginia Beach area. With over 60 years of experience, MSCO is the one to call for all your heat pump installation and repair needs. Our technicians and comfort consultants are well trained and available to advise you on repair, replacement, or new installation.
Benefits of a Heat Pump System
A heat pump system may be a mystery to some, but this heating and cooling system is becoming more and more popular. Even though it’s called a heat pump, it does more than just produce heat. The system can heat your home in the colder months and cool your home in the hotter months.
Very similar to your refrigerator, heat pumps use electricity to move heat from a cool space to a warm space. In effect, the pump makes the cool spaces cooler and the warm spaces warmer. So, when you want your house to be warmer, the heat pump moves heat from the outdoors and brings it into your house, making the house warmer. Conversely, when you want your house to be cooler, the heat pump moves the heat in your house to the outdoors. As a result, heat pumps transfer heat instead of generating heat, making them more energy efficient.
Heat pumps can replace your heating system and your central air by doing the job of both. And it does it more efficiently, more cheaply, and with half the maintenance since you are only using one system for climate control instead of two. Considering the Virginia Beach climate, a heat pump system is a smart alternative, and homeowners would be wise to consider making the change.
Common Heat Pump Problems
Although heat pumps are an energy-efficient alternative to traditional furnaces and air conditioners, breakdowns do occur with their use. Here are some heat pump troubleshooting tips. As always, be sure to consult an MSCO HVAC technician for heat pump repair services before attempting any repair yourself.
- No Cold Air: If the heat pump is not cooling properly, check that your thermostat is set correctly. Another possibility is that your refrigerant levels are too low, or you could have a refrigerant leak.
- No Hot Air: If you’re not getting hot air, check that the airflow from outside your house is not blocked by snow or ice. Another possible cause is that the reversing valve is not reversing, causing only cool air to come out. Also, check your air filter since too much dirt will block airflow to the compressor.
- Tripped Circuit Breaker: A heat pump system requires a lot of power to start up, which could trip your circuit breaker. A frozen condenser could be a sign of a problem with the defrost cycle and cause the breaker to trip. If the breaker trips frequently, it could reveal an electrical issue, and it may be time for a service call.
- Compressor Problems: The compressor is one of the key elements of the heat pump system. If it’s having a hard time starting up or not starting up at all, it might be time to replace it.
- No Airflow: If there is no airflow or the unit won’t turn on at all, make sure your thermostat is properly set. Also, make sure the pump unit is receiving power or the blower won’t operate.
- Strange Noises: Some common noises that point out problems are buzzing, grinding, or gurgling. Another is that the heat pump is just plain loud. Rattling noises may reveal a problem with the air handler. A faint clicking noise upon startup could show a problem with the starter capacitor. If you hear any of these noises, it may be time for a service call.
- Strange Smells: A mildew smell could be a sign of mold buildup that needs to be checked. If you smell burning, turn off the system immediately and call for service.
- Auxiliary Heat : If you notice that the auxiliary or emergency heat light is running more than usual you may have an issue with refrigerant or the heat pump. If you notice unusually high electric bills or that the emergency heat is running more than usual call the heat pump specialist at MSCO and schedule a service call.
Brands of Heat Pumps We Repair
MSCO takes pride in offering quality products from the top brands in the HVAC services industry. Be sure to consult with us for brand recommendations and pricing for the following brands:
- Trane: MSCO technicians are Trane Comfort Specialists and have the knowledge and expertise needed to advise you on the best Trane options for your home.
- ClimateMaster: ClimateMaster specializes in geothermal heat pump systems. If you are looking for more information on this innovative technology, our technicians can advise you.
- Bosch: Bosch Thermotechnology has long been a leader in supplying high-quality HVAC systems to homeowners. Let one of your technicians show you the available options.
Our Other Heat Pump Services
MSCO offers a range of heat pump services to its customers, including:
- Heat Pump Installation and Replacement: If you want to install a heat pump system in your home or replace an existing heat pump, MSCO can help you. Our trained comfort consultant can advise you on which new heat pumps are a good fit for your home. They will also offer guidance on your existing heat pump and whether it needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Heat Pump Repair: MSCO is always there to repair your heat pump, no matter what the problem is. Our technicians will inspect the unit, diagnose the problem, and advise you on the best course of action. MSCO offers its customers emergency service 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We will assess the situation, make a recommendation, and try to keep repair costs down to a minimum. We are available for any HVAC repair that may be necessary.
- Heat Pump Maintenance: Regular heat pump maintenance is a great way to keep it working properly all year round. Whether it’s a tune-up or a parts replacement, MSCO offers Energy Savings Agreements that will help you avoid breakdowns and keep your heat pump in top condition. Under these agreements, our technicians will visit twice per year for a full inspection and take care of any issues that may be present.
DIY Versus Professional Heat Pump Repair
Some intrepid homeowners are accomplished do-it-yourselfers ready to tackle any repair issue that arises in their homes. While this is a great way to take responsibility for what goes on in your home, it is important to carefully judge which jobs you can handle and which jobs you can’t.
Heat pumps are complex systems that require professional, trained repair technicians. Watching a video or two and thinking you can make the repair may have unanticipated results. What may seem like a minor repair to a do-it-yourselfer could mushroom into a full-blown disaster. In the long run, it could cost you far more money than you thought you would save by not calling in professional help.
Aside from money, factor in the time it will take for you to do the repair. That includes how long it will take to teach yourself to perform the repair as well as actually doing the repair. That may be time that you need to devote to other life responsibilities, so choose wisely and remember that the qualified technicians at MSCO are always ready to troubleshoot your problem.
Why Homeowners Choose MSCO
MSCO has been serving the Virginia Beach area since 1955. We are available for emergency service 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our technicians are ready to help you with heat pump repairs or advise you on purchasing a whole new unit.
If you are in the Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Suffolk, or Portsmouth, VA areas and need heat pump repair, contact us on our website or call us today at 757-427-0016.