Carbon Monoxide Dangers
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas. It is highly toxic to both animals and humans. Carbon monoxide could kill a person or animal within minutes of exposure. It is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned. If appliances that burn fuel are maintained properly, the amount of CO produced is normally not hazardous. However, if appliances are not maintained or used properly, dangerous levels of CO can result.
Hundreds of people die accidentally every year from CO poisoning caused by malfunctioning or improperly used appliances. In fact, carbon monoxide is the number one cause of poisoning deaths in the United States. It is extremely important to properly maintain all fuel burning appliances throughout the year. Also, be sure you own a carbon monoxide detector. You should change the batteries in your detector about every six months.
Mechanical Service Company can help you maintain and efficiently operate your gas appliances. We also can provide you with a CO detector to help keep you and your family safe.