Geothermal Heat Pump Installation in Virginia Beach
If you’re looking for an eco-friendly and budget-friendly way to heat and cool your home, you may want to consider geothermal heat pump installation. While they cost more to install than traditional heating and cooling systems, the energy savings will allow most homeowners to recoup these additional costs within 5 to 10 years, according to the Department of Energy. If you’re wanting the most energy-efficient way to heat and cool your home, Mechanical Service Company is ready to help you install and efficient and effective system that will offer reliable heating and cooling all year long.
Are you curious about the benefits of a geothermal heat pump? We have a full list of geothermal heat pump services, including installation services. Our team are experts when it comes to these systems, and we want you to know what your options are. Contact MSCO to learn more!
How Geothermal Heat Pumps Work
Temperatures above the ground can vary significantly all through the year, dipping into frigid conditions in the winter and hot and humid conditions in the summer. Though the Virginia Beach area has fairly mild winters, we still see quite a bit of variance in temperatures throughout the year. However, just a few feet below ground the temperature tends to stay right around 50 degrees. This means in the summer, it’s cooler underground than above ground, and in the winter it’s the opposite.
A geothermal heat pump uses this energy to heat and cool your home. It contains an underground loop that is filled with a water solution. In the winter, this solution absorbs heat energy from the bound, carrying that heat into the home to transfer it into your ductwork. A heat exchanger pulls the cool air from the home and pumps it into the loop, where it absorbs more heat from the ground. In the summer the process reverses. The heat exchanger pulls heat from the home’s air and pumps it into the ground. The cooled water then turns back to the heat exchanger to blow cooled air into the home.
Benefits of Geothermal Heat Pump Installation
Using the power of the heat energy stored in the earth is a great way to heat and cool your home. Some of the benefits include:
- Lower heating and cooling cost. It costs significantly less to heat and cool your home with geothermal energy. Most homeowners experience a 25 to 50% drop in energy use after switching to geothermal heat, according to the Department of Energy.
- Less reliance on other fuel sources. While you may need backup heat source for severely cold weather, most of the time you won’t be using fossil fuels to heat your home.
- Longer lifespan. The heat pump will likely last 20 or more years, and the underground infrastructure can last up to 50 years. This is longer than the 15 to 20 years expected lifespan of most HVAC systems.
- One system for two jobs. A geothermal heat pump works as both a heating system and a cooling system, so you only have to maintain and care for one system, rather than two.
- More environmentally friendly. It doesn’t get much more environmentally friendly than using the energy of the earth itself to heat and cool your home.
Choose MSCO for Geothermal System Services in Virginia Beach
At Mechanical Service Company, keeping your home comfortable for your family has been our mission since we opened our business in 1955. We grew from humble beginnings in a Norfolk garage, and we’ve since grown to service the entire Hampton Roads area, including Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Suffolk.
MSCO is an independent Trane Comfort Specialist™ company, meaning we’ve met Trane’s stringent standards for customer satisfaction and continuing education for our employees. We may not be your only choice for HVAC companies in Virginia Beach, but we are the best choice.